Resources and Support for Grieving Families
The Children's Room - Offers peer support groups and creates safe, supportivie comunities so that no child, teen or family has to grieve alone.
On Belay - Builds community among youth who have or have had a family member with cancer using adventure based programs that encourage participants to uncover their inner resilience.
empowerHER - A nonprofit organization for young girls who have experienced the early loss of their mothers.
SLAP'D - Social media for teens who have lost a parent to find hope and connection through shared experiences.
Resources for the Professionals
Coalition to Support Grieving Students - A practitioner-oriented website providing practical, free information, handouts and reference materials.
Resources for Adults Helping Chidren Grieve
The Commission on Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - An interactive website that is devoted to fostering education, networking, research, programs and support to grandparents and all relatives raising grandchildren.
Parenting - Offers a wide array of resources for parents.
Courageous Parent's Network - A destination created by families, for families, to support, guide and strengthen them as they care for very sick children.
What's Your Grief? - Their mission is to promote grief education, exploration, and expression in both practical and creative ways.
Alliance for Grieving Children - Their mission is to raise awareness about the needs of children and teens grieving a death and provide education and resources to anyone who wants to support them.
Children's Grief.net - Helping children with grief and trauma.
Widowed Parent - The Widowed Parent project is committed to supporting widowed mothers and fathers with children in the home.
Suggested Reading List: For Adults Helping Children Grieve
- Childs-Gowell, Elaine, Good Grief Rituals: Tools for Healing
- Coles, Robert, The Spiritual Life of Children
- Doka, Kenneth J., Children Mourning: Mourning Children
- Fitzgerald, Helen, The Grieving Child: A Parent's Guide
- Fox, S., Helping Groups of Children When a Friend Dies
- Fry, Virginia Lynn, Part of Me Died, Too: Stories of Creative Survival Among Bereaved Children and Teeneagers
- Furman, Erma, A Child's Parent Dies
- Goldman, Linda, Life and Loss: A Guide to Helping Grieiving Children
- Gordon, Audrey and Klass, D., They Need to Know: How to Teach Children About Death
- Grollman, Earl A., Talking About Death: A Dialogue Between Parent and Child
- Grollman, Earl A., Bereaved Children and Teens
- Huntley, Theresa, Helping Children Grieve: When Someone They Love Dies
- Jarratt, Claudia Jewett, Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss
- Krementz, Jill, How It Feels When a Parent Dies
- Kroen, William C., Helping Children Cope with the Loss of a Loved One: A Guide for Grownups
- Kubler-Ross, Elizabeth, On Children and Death
- LeShan, Eda, Learning to Say Goodbye: When a Child's Parent Dies
- Lord, Janice Harris, No Time for Goodbyes: Coping with Sorrow, Anger and Injustice after a Tragic Death
- Lord, Janice Harris, Beyond Sympathy: How to Help Another Through Injury, Illness or Loss
- Menten, Ted, Gentle Closings: How to Say Goodbye to Someone You Love
- Schaefer, D. & Lyons, C., How Do We Tell the Children? Helping Children Understand and Cope When Someone Dies
- Stein, Sara Bonnett, About Dying: An Open Family Book for Parents and Children Together
- Trozzi, Maria, Talking with Children About Loss: Words, Strategieis and Wisdom to Help Children Cope with Death, Divorce and other Difficult Times
- Wolfelt, A., Helping Children Cope with Grief
- Worden, J. William, Children and Grief: When a Parent Dies
- Ziegler, Robert G., Homemade Books to Help Kids Cope