Practical Answers and Advice
Visit our Bereavement Resources section to access helpful websites, books and articles.
While support groups are not for everyone, they can be quite helpful in reducing the sense of loneliness and isolation grieving people often feel and can also help normalize the wide variety of grief reactions you might be experiencing by introducing you to others with very similar feelings.
If you are unsure about committing to an 8- or 6-week group, we also offer one-time workshops such as “Newly Bereaved” that allow you to briefly experience what can happen in a group. We also offer lists of suggested reading materials, and referrals to additional grief support programs and resources in the community. If your loved one was service with Care Dimensions hospice, short-term individual counseling is also available.
Sometimes it is just enough to be with them - you don't necessarily have to say or do anything. Encourage them to express their thoughts and feelings. Ask, "do you feel like talking?" or say, "I don't know what to say right now, but I care." Help them recall the good times and don't avoid talking about the person they lost.
Other ways to help:
- Help them clean out their loved one's things when they are ready.
- Assist them with shopping, cooking, writing thank you notes, even walking a pet.
- Prepare for difficult dates and times such as anniversaries, birthdays, holidays and meals.
- Most importantly, be patient and understand that grief takes time.
- Avoid saying things like "You should be getting on with your life."Everyone’s timetable is different, and there is no “correct” way to grieve.
Companies can start by considering various workshops and training programs that teach managers how to support bereaved employees with a focus on maintaining on-the-job performance.
Care Dimensions can provide a visit to your work site by one of our Bereavement Counselors, who can be available to speak individually or as a group with employees struggling to understand the loss. Feel free to contact us at 855-774-5100.